Rat Race Day 7 - Friday

Very frustrating day for me with the wind picking up unextectedly and catching me out. After a pretty efficient start without too much wasted time,  I worked hard to get up to the turnpoint at Mt Isabel in the rapidly strengthening wind.

On the way back to the turnpoint at Woodrat, the wind seemed to strengthen even more and was sweeping the valley as I made the transition back to Woodrat. I found myself approaching Woodrat mountain at close to 60km/h because of the tailwind! I could have dived really close into the steep gully below launch at probably managed to climb out, but in that wind there might have been no lift at all, or extreme turbulence over 60 ft fir trees. Another 300 ft on my glide over and it would have not been an issue.

The wind was wiping out any of the usual thermal spots on the ridge below launch, so I had to land down at the bailout in the hot gusty conditions in a very discouraged mood.

Decided to go for a bike ride instead of stewing in the frustration of the flight. I rode up to Applegate Lake which is a beautiful ride along a winding river road in beautiful sunshine.

A fair few other people also got stuck so I only dropped one place in the results to 39th.

Results

Growing pot is no secret and big business here in Oregon. Apparently the plantations have to be behind fencing now, but there is no mistaking the aroma!

Bike Ride Destination: Applegate lake

My Fezzari on the dam at Applegate lake, looking downstream towards Woodrat